Skip to Page Content

How can you make a difference?

    Share your opinions with your state and federal legislative Representatives and Senators.

    IT’S EASY with the SHRM Government Affairs web site!!

    Follow these simple steps

    1. Log on to

    2. Click on the “Government Affairs” tab on the left side of the screen.

    3. Find the “Visit our Legislative Action Center” section and click on the “Write Your Member of Congress” tab

    4. You will be prompted to enter your member ID and last name to log in.

    5. Select “Write your Elected Officials”

    6. Select which topic you’d like to discuss with your Representative and/or Senator. Current topics (as of 4/15/2003) include:

    o Congressional Thank You

    o Civil Rights Tax Relief Act

    o Health Care Costs

    o FLSA Comp Time

    o White Collar Modifications, FLSA

    o FCRA Clarification Letter

    o FMLA Clarification Act

    o Bonus Legislation

    o Genetic Nondiscrimination in the Workplace

    o Investment Advice

    o Pension Reform

    o Compose your own letter

    7. Choose your message recipients and whether you plan to e-mail, fax, or print a letter

    8. Edit, customize, and complete the closing information

    9. Your respective Senator or Representative may ask for additional information to categorize your letter by topic.

    10. Send and/or print your message

    The same basic steps apply when contacting State Officials. Not sure who your state legislators are? When you open the Write Your Member of Congress page, click on the blue tab titled “State Affairs” to view who your state legislators are and to compose a letter using the SHRM site.

    You pay for these services as a part of your national dues…why not make the most of your membership and let your voice be heard today?